Age Level: 8 and up | Grade Level: 3 and up
Lexile score 600L-700L | DRA 28 | Guided Reading Level N
2019 Readers’ Favorite® Five Star Award | RECOMMENDED by the US Review
From the bestselling author of Code 7: Cracking the Code for an Epic Life
When Jason meets his mom’s billion-dollar invention, an artificial intelligence device named Proto, he accidentally gets caught up in a mysterious adventure. Proto goes missing, and then people go missing. Now Jason and his coolest-neighbor-ever Maya must risk their lives to prevent global mayhem. But who is behind this devious plot? Is it another AI? The FBI? Or any other abbreviation with an I? What exactly is there to learn about artificial and human intelligence while fighting for your life against a legion of furry puppies or a battalion of drones? A lot— if you live to tell about it.
The Proto Project
- Designed to be read independently for kids ages 8-12 (3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th grade)
- Great for children who have outgrown chapter books and are ready for non-illustrated middle-grade novels
- Makes a wonderful gift for anyone looking for exciting, meaningful reading for girls and boys with content that is age-appropriate at home and in school.
- Best for Kids who …
- Adore contemporary realistic fiction combined with fantasy and science fiction, told with humor and tall-tale flair
- Love fast-paced novels filled with humor, mystery, suspense and adventure
- Enjoy series books like Percy Jackson & the Olympians, A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Last Kids on Earth, The 39 Clues, and The Wild Robot, and love books by authors like James Patterson and Gordon Korman.
Great for Gift-Givers, Parents, and Educators looking for …
- An entertaining novel for upper-elementary and middle schoolers that upholds strong values, encourages intellectual curiosity with a growth mindset, and inspires social and global responsibility
- Teachable kids books that encourage interest in STEM careers (science, technology, engineering and math), and incorporates potential real-world applications of modern developments in Artificial Intelligence in concert with Biology, Chemistry, and Physics
- Funny and fun books that emphasize collaboration and teamwork to benefit the greater good
“Johnson (Code 7, 2017) offers a well-calculated balance of suspense and humor for middle school readers …. Action sequences are exciting and dramatic. The novel also provides food for thought in considering how AI could help or hurt humanity. Although the villains are over the top, they do give voice to some of the forces that might want to use AI for selfish, grandiose reasons. A well-written, fast-paced and thoughtful adventure.” – Kirkus Review
“The Proto Project: A Sci-Fi Adventure of the Mind is a fast-paced and exciting novel that makes the techiest James Bond spy thriller seem old-fashioned and stodgy by comparison ….The plot is zany and unpredictable, and Johnson’s characters are a hoot to watch as they expand their imaginations, skills, and world-views in response to the crisis they’re facing. I found this book impossible to put down and am hoping that the author considers giving Maya, Jason and Proto another global challenge to work with. Surely characters this credible and fun to be with deserve a sequel? The Proto Project: A Sci-Fi Adventure of the Mind is most highly recommended.” – Readers’ Favorite 5-star review